American Legion Post 283


Q: How do I join The American Legion?

A: Call the American Legion Post 283 office at 310-454-0527, email or download the PDF membership form and mail it or drop it off at the Post 283 office.

Q: How do I know if I am eligible for membership in the American Legion?

A: The American Legion was founded on the premise that all those serving in the United States Armed Forces during times of national crisis, regardless of place of service, are eligible to belong to The American Legion. If you have served federal active duty in the United States Armed Forces since December 7, 1941, and have been honorably discharged or are still serving - you are eligible for membership in The American Legion!

*Because eligibility dates remain open, all active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.

**U.S. Merchant Marine eligible only from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 (WWII).

Q: How does a Post report the death of a member of The American Legion?

A: When notified, the Post Adjutant submits form numbered 30-001/2002 (member data form) to the department.
You may also use a regular transmittal form and write deceased next to the name and member number and mail with the card (with the deceased box checked).

Q: What benefits do I receive as a member of the American Legion?

A: As a member of The American Legion, you may participate in the low cost life insurance program, as well as many other discounts such as moving, Car rental, hotels and motels, eyewear and prescription drugs benefits are added periodically.

Q: What type of financial aid for college or scholarship information can The American Legion provide?

A: Please visit the national America Legion website list of various scholarship opportunities. (

Q: What can I do to get help with a VA claim?

A: American Legion Service Officers offer free advice and guidance for veterans who need to deal with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Check the Service Officer Directory for contact information of the officers in your area.

Q: I am related to someone who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibility dates. Can I join the Auxiliary of Sons of The American Legion (SAL) even if he/she is not a member of the American Legion?

A: No. If your relative who served on active duty during one of the membership eligibility dates is not a member of The American Legion you may not join the American Legion Auxiliary or the Sons of the American Legion. However, if the qualifying veteran is deceased you may join the appropriate organization, even if the qualifying veteran was not a member of The American Legion when living.

Q: Can I ask The American Legion to search its membership list and give me a current address and telephone number of an old Army buddy I want to locate?

A: The American Legion protects the privacy of its members and will not release such information. However, there are certain situations for mail to be forwarded to our members. Legion membership of the requester is required in most cases. A background sheet is available upon request. Please send an e-mail to the Library of the American Legion.

Q: How can I obtain a copy of the American Legion s annual report?

A: Address your request to our Library via e-mail. In the future this report will be available on-line via these internet pages.

Q: Is there a history of The American Legion available?

A: Copies The American Legion: An Official History is available from Emblem Sales, The American Legion, P.O. Box 1050, Indianapolis, IN 46206, Telephone: (317) 630-1251, or FAX (317) 630-1381. FAX orders are accepted with VISA

Q: Where do I direct questions or concerns about local posts?

A: Post matters and/or concerns should be directed to the California Department Headquarters, 1601 7th Street, Sanger, CA 93657 or telephone (559) 875-8387, FAX (559) 272-5157, Email: The Department has the first line responsibility in reviewing any actions by a post. In addition, if you are interested in joining or even just visiting local posts within an area, please direct all questions to the Department Headquarters. The Department professional staff should be able to provide the information you are seeking.

Q: How can I request a copy of my military discharge records for proof of eligibility?

A: If you are a veteran or next-to-kin of a deceased veteran, you may now use to order copies of military records. All other must use SF 180 or request in a letter.